The events, set in the future, are fictionalised but are based on real members of the Royal family, with actors cast for their resemblance to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.King Charles is played by Tim Pigott-Smith, who died suddenly last month before the television version could be broadcast.Although well-received by critics on the stage, Goold conceded the BBC version would be more controversial.“The TV audience is much bigger and broader,” he said. “But I hope that people who think it’s going to be anti-monarchist will watch the whole thing because I think it’s nuanced.” Camilla, King Charles III, Kate Middleton, Prince William, Prince Harry Credit:Robert Viglasky/Drama Republic The one-off drama, which is likely to appall staunch royalists, tells the story of King Charles III and his scheming family, as they embark on a constitutional crisis so extreme that a ruthless Duchess of Cambridge plots to depose him.Scenes include an opening shot of the Queen’s coffin, two appearances from the ghost of Diana, Princess of Wales, and the Duchess of Cornwall slapping Prince William in the face.Goold said the show contained issues of the “greatest sensitivity”, with some scenes altered for the BBC from the original stage version so as not to compromise the national broadcaster. Charlotte RIley plays Kate MiddletonCredit: Robert Viglasky/Drama Republic Credit: Robert Viglasky/Drama Republic He added: “You have to remember that, even with the stage version, we’d been through long conversations with lawyers and certain actors refusing to be involved because of how it might affect their future relationship with the honours system.”Goold said the television film crew also made concessions to filming Diana’s premonition-delivering ghost at a distance, admitting: “The director of photography was resistant to even going as close as we did.”King Charles III, a 90-minute drama, has been adapted from a play of the same name, written by Mike Bartlett and staged at the Almeida Theatre in 2014.It went on to win an Olivier for best new play, as well as being nominated for numerous Tony Awards upon its transfer to Broadway. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. Getting the play into the public domain in the first place, he said, had require “long conversations” with lawyers, with one scene involving Diana, Princess of Wales considered “too mocking” to air on the BBC.He added “certain actors”, whom he chose not to name, had refused to be involved in the production over fears it might jeopardise a future knight or damehood.Asked by Radio Times magazine whether there had been any “difficult editorial conversations” about King Charles III with the BBC, Goold said: “There was one.“The issue of greatest sensitivity was always how the funeral of the Queen would be presented and what that would mean for a BBC that covers such events for real.“But we also changed one line in Diana’s prophecy about Charles as King because it somehow felt too mocking.” Credit:Robert Viglasky/Drama Republic Jessica and Prince Harry Credit:Robert Viglasky/Drama Republic But John Whittingdale, a Tory MP and former Culture Secretary, said there was no need for anyone to be offended on behalf of the Queen.”It’s a drama, it’s not presented as fact,” he said. “It was extremely well reviewed and well received as a play.”Some of my colleagues get hysterical about this kind of thing. I don’t think the Queen is the least bit offended.”If the BBC has commissioned a production of a decent play how can one possibly object to that? High-quality drama is at the heart of public service broadcasting.”King Charles III will air on BBC Two on Wednesday, May 10 at 9pm. The BBC, which employs a Royal Liaison Officer, said only that Buckingham Palace was “aware” of the production, but refused to comment on whether they discussed the drama with advisors.Buckingham Palace declined to comment.King Charles III’s first review from the Telegraph, which awarded the play five stars, noted it would have caused heads to roll in a different era, with critic Charles Spencer concluding: “I would deferentially suggest that the Prince of Wales gives it a miss.”Sir Gerald Howarth, a former defence minister and outgoing Tory MP, said: “We have a sovereign who commands universal respect across the nation and the rest of the World. It is extraordinarily insensitive for an organisation which is so consumed with political correctness.”It is pure indulgence by the BBC to run a play featuring the demise of the sovereign and ascribing to a popular member of the Royal member [the Duchess of Cambridge] base motives.” The late Tim Pigott-Smith as Charles IIICredit:Robert Viglasky/ Drama Republic British actors refused to take roles in controversial drama King Charles III for fear it might jeopardise their knighthoods, its director has claimed. Rupert Goold, who directed the play and its new television adaption, said parts had been turned down by those who worried how it “might affect their future relationship with the honours system”.The role of King Charles III was taken by the late Tim Pigott-Smith, who has received an OBE, with Charlotte Riley joining the television version to play the Duchess of Cambridge.
Asia HandballQatar handballrio 2016 handball The first team at Asian Qualification tournament for Olympic Games in Rio is Qatar! Valero Rivera boys showed power by beating the strongest rival in the group – Iran 32:17 which put them on the TOP of the group after four rounds. Qatar secured semi-final spot, while for the second will fight Iran and Saudi Arabia, which match will look carefully Japan, who also has some theoretical chances to finish second.STANDINGS:Qatar 8Iran 6Saudi Arabia 4Japan 4Oman 2Uzbekistan 0In the second group, Bahrain and South Korea won first two clashes, but still two rounds are ahead.STANDINGS:Bahrain 4Korea 4Iraq 2China 2Australia 0 – 3Only the winner of tournament will qualify for the Olympic Games in Rio. ← Previous Story FAST AND FURIOUS: Rivera scores 16 in HBC Nantes win! Next Story → MIZUNO World Handball Player 2015 reaches 100.000 votes!