Photo credit: BBC NewsPORT AU PRINCE, Haiti — Health partners in Haiti are responding promptly to increasing cases of cholera in the Ouest department to ensure that the new infections do not spread to the capital, Port-au-Prince, a spokesperson for the United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.“Given the early detection of alerts, a prompt response is under way,” Fadela Chaib, the WHO spokesperson, told reporters in Geneva.She said the current surge in the number of cases in Ouest department is a reminder of the need for vigilance.“Haiti will be facing cholera for years unless water and sanitation issues are properly fixed,” said Chaib.A cholera outbreak that erupted in Haiti in October last year has claimed more than 4,500 lives and nearly 300,000 people fell ill with the disease. Fresh infections continue to occur.A report by an independent panel set up by the UN to investigate the source of the cholera outbreak concluded that a “confluence of circumstances,” and not the fault of any group or individual, was responsible for the fast-moving outbreak.The four-member panel of experts included a series of recommendations for the UN and the Haitian government so they can help prevent the future introduction and spread of cholera.Caribbean News Now Tweet Share NewsRegional Cholera cases increasing in Haiti province by: – May 30, 2011 15 Views no discussions Share Sharing is caring! Share
BACOLOD City – Business groups are now supporting Mayor Evelio Leonardia’s decision to extend curfew hours in this city. To recall, Carbon wrote a letter to Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran, urging the city government to relax the 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew to allow establishments operate during the late evening hours. In his latest directive, Leonardia introduced several restrictions such as re-imposing liquor ban and modifying curfew hours. Last Friday, Leonardia issued an executive order extending the city’s MGCQ for the fourth time from July 31 to Aug. 15. In his change of stance, Carbon urged the local government units should give “cash for work” for those who have lost of their jobs. Frank Carbon, chief executive officer of the Metro Bacolod Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MBCCI), deemed it prudent to enforce 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew hours as part of preventive efforts against transmission of coronavirus disease 2019. Bacolod City remains under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ “medium risk”) despite calls from concerned physicians to revert the city to enhanced community quarantine BY DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGA The MBCCI chief also pushed for the city’s police force to deploy their personnel to traffic congested areas and enforce the health protocols by apprehending those who don’t wear their face masks or violate social distancing measures. However, the new curfew adjustments has yet to take effect as it requires an amendment of the current city ordinance./PN
INDIANAPOLIS – Airports are be bustling today with folks catching flights to their Thanksgiving destinations.While the thought of delays or cancellations may be stressful, airline passengers can take some comfort in knowing they have some protections under the law.Abe Scarr, director with the Illinois Public Interest Research Group, says people who don’t fly often may be unaware of their rights as airline passengers. For instance, there are rules adopted in the last few years about being stuck on a plane that isn’t taking off.“If you’re stuck on the tarmac over a period of time, the airline is required to give you food and water and medical attention,” Scarr says. “After three hours, they either have to return you to the airport or be in the air.”For overbooked flights, he says there is no mandatory amount of compensation for those who volunteer to be bumped, but airlines typically negotiate if you’re willing to take a later flight. For those involuntarily bumped, Scarr says if the flight isn’t rebooked within two hours, a passenger is owed 200 percent of the one-way fare, up to $650.Scarr says passengers also have rights when it comes to lost luggage, so it’s worth making a note as you pack, of what you’re taking on the trip and what it’s worth.“If your bag is just simply delayed, the airlines are required to reimburse you for reasonable expenses, such as toiletries or a change of clothes,” says Scarr. “If they lose your bags, they’re required to refund any checked-baggage fees, and reimburse you for the lost items, up to $3,400.”Scarr says airlines are required to provide information about how to file complaints, and must respond to a complaint within 60 days. According to Triple-A, Thanksgiving air travel is expected to be at its highest level since 2007, with more than 3.5 million people in the air this week.Mary Kuhlman
A barnstorming display in a losing cause against Manchester City further burnished Diame’s credentials last weekend and Bruce admits he was delighted to take advantage of uncertainty over his Hammers future. “I don’t think it was the case West Ham didn’t want him but I think everybody has to make a decision when there’s 10 months left on your contract,” said Bruce. “Will you give him a new contract or are you going to cash in? West Ham obviously cashed in. “I can understand the situation, when people don’t sign a contract for you then sometimes you’ve got no option, but it’s been a benefit to us and we are delighted to have brought him in. “He’s got a right foot, a left foot and now he’s scored with a header. He’s not quite the complete midfielder but he’s big, he’s strong, he’s athletic, he handles the ball well, he’s good in the air, he’s got two good feet. “He’s had a really good start so let’s hope it continues. He’s come here and he’s enjoying his football, why wouldn’t you when you’ve got three goals in four games for a new club?” While Diame has already gone a long way to paying back the relatively modest transfer fee, Bruce revealed he has plenty more to make up for too. Diame scored twice against Sunderland during Bruce’s time on Wearside and played in the Wigan win that ultimately led to his dismissal. Steve Bruce was left to eulogise about Mohamed Diame’s impact at Hull after the deadline day signing’s third goal in four matches helped his side to victory over Crystal Palace. Bruce brought Diame in to bolster the Tigers midfield and with the Senegal international’s contract into its last year at West Ham, he cost just £3.5million. That already seems a snip after a debut goal against his former employers, a thunderbolt against Newcastle and the crucial headed opener in the 2-0 win over Palace. Press Association “I think he got me the sack when I was at Sunderland actually, if I’m being honest,” said Bruce. “I first came across him when he was at Wigan and blasted one in against us.” Despite dominating for long periods, City only made the game safe in the 89th minute when Jake Livermore’s perfect through ball found Nikica Jelavic. The Croatian finished calmly to net his fourth of the season and ensure Hull’s first win since the opening day defeat of QPR. For Palace there was less to cheer, with a curiously flat performance hardly becoming a side chasing a third successive victory. Yet manager Neil Warnock used his post-match press conference as a platform to fight Fraizer Campbell’s corner. A one-time Hull loanee, he was booed relentlessly by the home fans having twice turned down a permanent move. But Warnock was more annoyed at a perceived lack of consistency from referee Mike Dean. “I had to take Fraizer Campbell off because he got a silly booking but in the first minute he was body-checked, which should have been a yellow card,” he said. “Then just before half-time, there’s an elbow from (Michael) Dawson – I’ve seen red cards for less than that. “The referee doesn’t see that but he sees all the little niggles that poor old Fraizer gets booked for. “Referees should be in a position to see elbows like that and know it’s not an accident. It’s dangerous play. “They need to be educated better, even though he’s one of our better refs.”
Mike Sherry, Keith Earls, Simon Zebo and CJ Stander scored the province’s tries with the skipper’s effort securing the bonus point on 68 minutes.Ian Keatley converted 3 of the 4 touchdowns.Tipperary’s Dave Foley and Tommy O’Donnell played the whole match while Donnacha Ryan made a return to action after his recent injury problems as a replacement for Mark Chisholm.
Listen to the KGLO Morning News from Tuesday September 10th
Former NFL player and sports broadcast host Terry Bradshaw interviews Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll after the NFL football NFC Championship game against the San Francisco 49ers Sunday, Jan. 19, 2014, in Seattle. The Seahawks won 23-17 to advance to Super Bowl XLVIII. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — Fox analyst Terry Bradshaw will not appear on the network’s Super Bowl coverage after the death of his father.Fox says that Bill Bradshaw died Thursday after a long illness. He was 86.Michael Strahan will replace Bradshaw on Sunday’s pregame show.A U.S. Navy veteran, Bill Bradshaw retired as vice president of manufacturing for Riley Beaird.Terry Bradshaw won four Super Bowls as quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers before going into TV. Michael Strahan speaks during an interview at the NFL Super Bowl XLVIII media center, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014, in New York. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
Submitted by The Community Foundation of South Puget SoundThe Community Foundation of South Puget Sound announced that its Board of Directors has approved a grant up to $80,000 for the Thurston Asset Building Coalition (ThurstonABC) to expand their work and provide coordination and administrative support to the coalition’s efforts. Now in its sixth year, ThurstonABC’s goal is to shorten the pathway out of poverty for people living in Thurston County. The five “HUBS” — housing, food, health, income and financial literacy—are networks of nonprofit, business and government partners working in common sectors. ThurstonABC’s focus is on collaboration within and between the sectors to reach and support the people they serve in common.The grant will fund contract positions to manage and organize the partners’ work to broaden this initiative’s reach and capacity. Grant funds will also engage organizational development resources to continue integration within the broader community. ThurstonABC’s goal is to form a seamless network of partners working together to create an environment where barriers to self-sufficiency for people with limited incomes are minimized.“This grant supports a community defined strategy, including enhanced collaboration in service delivery for our residents seeking an effective pathway out of poverty,” says Norma Schuiteman, The Community Foundation’s executive director. The Community Foundation of South Puget Sound made the grant through its partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation focused on alleviating intergenerational poverty. “Their efforts exemplify the type of community- identified priorities we are committed to support,” she adds.“This grant will take the impact of our work to the next level. With the assistance of paid coordinators and other key support we believe our work will benefit people throughout Thurston County by better serving those in need,” says Robert Coit, ThurstonABC chair. The grant will also fund work to clearly define organizational priorities, build a budget around those, and implement a fund development plan. “We are grateful to The Community Foundation for seeing the intrinsic value of our collaborative vision and its capacity to assist the greater community,” Coit adds. Facebook0Tweet0Pin0
Speaking in yesterday’s sitting of Parliament, Minister of Sport Olivia ‘Babsy’ Grange noted that her office has initiated discussions with colleague ministers of health and education, as well as youth and information, to review protocols and policy guidelines, to better protect and serve student athletes.The technical team in her ministry has been in discussions with the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA), which governs the Manning and daCosta Cup football competitions as well as the Boys and Girls Athletics Championships, among other school sporting competitions.According to Grange, there will be the establishment of an inter-ministerial working group/task force on Safeguarding Children in Sport.She explained that this task force will examine the role of Government in the provision of resources and capacity building, as well as in the setting, implementing, monitoring and enforcing of standards related to the participation of children in sports.CHILDREN’S SUITABILITYThe task force will have responsibility for determining the suitability of children to participate in sport, critical-incident management, and reporting procedures.Grange assured protocol on the provision of medical and other services at training and competition, and training and certification in safety and response.Grange spoke about plans to advance the development of a policy for the safeguarding and protection of children in sport.She noted that the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information, the Office of Children’s Registry, the Child the Development Agency and the Children’s Advocate will work to build a partnership for creating a safe environment for children in sport.Importantly, Grange said safeguarding actions should take precedence to ensure that children are protected against abuses, including: overtraining and training and participating in sport without proper nutrition.She said they should not be forced to play while injured or while having a lack of or inadequate health and diagnostic checks or exposure to prohibited substances.She also warned against sexual abuse, and mental and emotional abuse, where, according to Grange, children are made to feel like failures if they do not perform at a certain level.
View comments Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ MOST READ LATEST STORIES But the IOC said that despite its “gesture of goodwill” the reasons for its original suspension remained valid.“This is a world record for government interference in the Olympic movement, no country is like this,” OCA director general Husain Al Musallam told AFP after an executive board meeting discussed the matter in Jakarta on Saturday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“We are very happy for the Kuwait National Olympic Committee and for the athletes,” he said.“We hope this will not happen in the future and the Kuwait government will respect the road map they have agreed with the IOC to lead to fresh, clean, transparent and democratic elections based on each sport’s statutes approved by their respective international bodies.” Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Sweet 16 for North Korea’s women at Asian Games Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Peza offers relief to ecozone firms In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew World sports bodies led by the IOC and FIFA suspended Kuwait in October 2015 for a second time since 2010 for political interference in sport.The IOC said that in reinstating Kuwait provisionally that it “acknowledged the progress” and the “positive discussions with the Government of Kuwait”.Al Musallam said Kuwait did not have much time to prove it was trying to meet IOC requirements.“We are going to review the situation with the IOC on October 3 and 4 to see if any of the agreement has been implemented on the ground, or if there is nothing,” said Al Musallam.“We really hope this thing will be finished.”ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced FILE — Kuwait’s flagbearer Fehaid Aldeehani leads their delegation parade during the opening ceremony of the 2014 Asian Games at the Incheon Asiad Main Stadium in Incheon on September 19, 2014. AFP PHOTO / JUNG YEON-JE / AFP PHOTO / JUNG YEON-JEKuwait was warned by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) on Saturday to stop its “world record” of government interference in sport or face being exiled for a third time.The International Olympic Committee (IOC) this week provisionally lifted its ban on Kuwait, allowing the Gulf state’s athletes to march under their own flag at Saturday’s Asian Games opening ceremony in Jakarta.ADVERTISEMENT ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins